Caroling Around Central Campus
On Wednesday, Dec. 21, the CUA Warblers, an impromptu group comprising about a dozen CUA staff members, will sing holiday songs in four centrally-located campus buildings with an invitation for all to join in. Caroling will last approximately 10 minutes and song sheets will be available at each stop.
During their tour, the Warblers will collect donations for the Edgewood/Brookland Family Support Collaborative, a fundraising project sponsored by the National Catholic School of Social Service. The group invites members of the university community to contribute.
The following is an approximate schedule of the tour:
- 10:30 a.m., Columbus School of Law Atrium.
- 10:55 a.m., Pryzbyla Center Atrium.
- 11:20 a.m., McMahon Hall Foyer
- 11:45 a.m., Leahy Hall Lobby.
For more information, contact Richard Weil at 202-319-5503.
Thank You for Participating in Adopt-a-Platoon
The Office of Campus Ministry wishes to thank members of the university community who donated gifts and/or cash for U.S. troops overseas in support of its Adopt-a-Platoon initiative.
Instructional Baseball Camps
CUA will conduct an instructional baseball mini-camp from Wednesday, Dec. 28, to Sunday, Dec. 31, and two six-week camps, each meeting one day a week from Jan. 7 to Feb. 13. (One session meets on Saturday mornings; the other session meets on Sunday mornings.) All camps will be held in the DuFour Center. Camps are open to players ages 8 to 18, of all ability and experience levels. Attendees will be instructed by members of the CUA baseball coaching staff, local college and high school coaches, and college and professional players. Emphasis will be placed on baseball fundamentals as well as exposing talented high school prospects to college recruiters. Individual videotaping included. Group and team discounts are available. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, and space is limited. Brochures and applications can be downloaded at http://athletics.cua.edu. For more information, contact CUA Head Baseball Coach Ross Natoli at 202-319-6092 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mandated Power Outages
In order to comply with Pepco's high-voltage testing and maintenance procedures, CUA's Office of Facilities Maintenance and Operations will conduct mandated power outages between Dec. 21 and Dec. 30. The outages have been scheduled as follows in order not to interfere with exams:
- Wednesday, Dec. 21: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Centennial Village.
- Thursday, Dec. 22: 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., Ryan, Regan, Flather, St. Vincent, Kane, Grounds/Vehicle Shop; Momentary outages throughout day: Life Cycle, Millennium, Centennial Village, Hannan, Power Plant, Ryan, Regan, Gowan, McCort-Ward, Nursing-Biology, Crough, Maloney, Power Plant, Pryzbyla, Pangborn.
- Tuesday, Dec. 27: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Gowan, Nursing-Biology, McCort-Ward, Maloney, Mullen, Power Plant; 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.: Pryzbyla, Keane, Shahan, Conaty, Spalding, Spellman.
- Wednesday, Dec. 28: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Pryzbyla, Keane, Shahan, Conaty, Spalding, Spellman, Gibbons.
- Thursday, Dec. 29: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Power Plant, Crough, Pangborn, McMahon, Stucco, McCarthy, Leahy, Caldwell, Ward, Curley, Salve Regina, Hartke.
- Friday, Dec. 30: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Hannan, Centennial Village, Millennium, Life Cycle, Law, Pryzbyla.
Until Next Year
The editors of This Week wish all of our readers a joyous Christmas and happy New Year. We will resume publication of This Week on Jan. 9.
Back to Top
Christmas Tree CareBack to Top
The Office of Environmental Health and Safety advises faculty and staff who have purchased or plan to buy a live Christmas tree this year to keep it watered and exercise care when positioning it in the house. Visit http://www.usfa.fema.gov/safety/tips/treefir.shtm to view a short video of what can happen to a Christmas tree if exposed to an ignition source.